If you’re like most homeowners, you probably assume that installing gutter covers is a smart move. After all, they can prevent leaves, debris, and other unwanted items from clogging your gutters and causing water damage to your roof. However, what you might not know is that some gutter covers can actually void your roof warranty, potentially costing you thousands of dollars in repairs down the road. In this blog post, we’ll explain why this is the case and offer some tips on how to avoid this problem.
Why Some Gutter Covers Can Void Your Roof Warranty
The main reason why some gutter covers can void your roof warranty is that they can interfere with the roof’s ventilation system. Proper ventilation is essential for keeping your roof healthy and preventing moisture buildup, which can lead to mold and rot. When you install certain types of gutter covers, you may be blocking the airflow through your roof’s vents, which can cause serious problems over time.
Additionally, some gutter covers may require you to screw them into your roof or to lift your shingles to install them. This can create openings in your roof that can allow water to seep in, potentially causing damage to your roof and voiding your warranty.
How to Avoid Voiding Your Roof Warranty
The good news is that you can still enjoy the benefits of gutter covers without risking your roof warranty. Here are some tips to keep in mind:
- Choose the right type of gutter covers: Look for gutter covers that are designed to work with your specific type of roof and that won’t interfere with its ventilation system. For example, some mesh gutter covers are designed to allow air to flow freely while still keeping debris out.
- Avoid screwing gutter covers into your roof: Instead, consider using clips or other non-invasive installation methods. This will help prevent damage to your roof and reduce the risk of voiding your warranty.
- Work with a reputable contractor: If you’re not comfortable installing gutter covers yourself, hire a professional contractor who has experience working with your type of roof. They can help you choose the right type of gutter covers and ensure they’re installed correctly without voiding your warranty.
What’s Important When Choosing A Gutter Guard?
Learn about how Gutter Shutter gutter guards work.
Gutter guards, which are also known as gutter covers, gutter screens, leaf filters, etc., are designed to prevent leaves, twigs and other debris from accumulating in your gutters and impeding water flow. There are a number of options available, which is why it’s important to ask these key questions about the gutter guard.
- Will the gutter guard filter out all kinds of materials? Generally gutter guards will keep all but the smallest debris out of your gutter, though some screen or mesh-type gutter covers won’t prevent small particles like plant seeds & granules from your roof shingles from accumulating in your gutters. The type of trees around your house should be considered when choosing gutter guards.
- Will roof shingles be damaged when the gutter guard is installed? Many gutter covers require lower courses of roof shingles to be pried up in order to install the gutter screen or cover. Our professional installers will ensure that this is done properly to avoid damage to the shingles.
- Can leaves accumulate on top of the gutter cover and block water drainage into the gutter? This can be a problem with many screen-type gutter covers, which is why we’ll work with you to determine the best type of gutter guard for your home’s location to give you ideal performance and limit maintenance and cleaning.
- Can the gutter cover come loose or be damaged easily? Like any other exterior part of your house, there is always the chance your gutters can be damaged by Mother Nature. However, we use high quality products that will be durable and long-lasting under normal weather patterns.
- Will the leaf filter look good on my gutters? Gutter guards come in a wide variety of colors, meaning that we can match the guard to your existing gutter to give your home a seamless appearance.
Upgrade Your Home With Quality Gutter Guards Today
If you have issues with clogged gutters or gutters that frequently need to be cleaned, gutter guards could be the solution you need. The gutter installation experts at Gutter Shutter by Larson Home Services can inspect your home and recommend the right products for your needs.
If you’re interested in gutter guard installation for your home, call us today at 608-839-7770 or contact us online to get started.